SELECTING THE RIGHT ROOFING COMPANY
Buying a new roof system is an important investment. Before you spend your money, spend some time learning how to evaluate the roofing contractors so you get the kind of results you expect—a quality roof system at a fair price. You should insist on working with a National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA) member. All roofing contractors are not alike, and you should prequalify roofing contractors to get the job done right the first time. You should be sure to find a local company with local references that will be in town in the future to stand behind their workmanship, beyond the manufacturer's warranty.
Keep a healthy skepticism about the lowest bid. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Many fly-by-night contractors' below-cost bids seem attractive, but these contractors often are uninsured and perform substandard work. Remember, price is only one of the criteria for selecting a roofing contractor. Professionalism, experience and quality workmanship should also weigh heavily in your decision.
Warning signs it's time for a new roof:
- Shingle edges are curled or shingle tabs are cupped
- Bald spots where granules are missing
- Cracked shingles
- Your roof is at least 20 years old
- Dark streaks
- Neighbors are getting new roofs
- The roof just looks old and worn
COMPARING ARCHITECTURAL VS. 3-TAB ASPHALT SHINGLES
- Architectural Shingles differ from the traditional 3-tab asphalt shingle look because the actual shingle tabs have various sizes and shapes. These various sizes and shapes give them a more “dimensional” look to them.
- Architectural shingles weigh around 50 percent more than the asphalt 3-tab shingles.
- Because architectural shingles are thicker than 3-tab shingles they have a longer warranty than most 3-tab shingles. Architectural shingles almost across the board have a minimum 30 year, and up to lifetime (or 50 year) guarantee and are rated to resist higher speeds of wind.
- Architectural shingles cost more than 3-tab shingles.
- Architectural shingles help maintain or raise the value of the home as long as they are properly installed. They are a preferred shingle for homeowners because they help the homes value.
- Architectural shingles are constantly becoming more and more popular in the roofing market.
- 3-tab shingles have only 1 uniform, rectangular shingle tab size and shape.
- 3-tab shingles are composed of one flat layer and do not have a dimensional look to them. Because they are more simple and are made up of less material they weigh less than architectural shingles.
- 3-tab shingles are less thick than architectural shingles and almost always have a shorter year guarantee. Because of this 3-tab shingle roofs need to be replaced sooner than architectural shingle roofs.
- 3-tab shingles cost less than architectural shingles.
- 3-tab shingles are still preferred among residential rental properties and lower value homes because they are more affordable.
- 3-tab shingles are on the decline in popularity.
Midwest Contractors has installed and can install roofing shingle from a variety of manufacturers, such as Owens Corning, CertainTeed, GAF and more. Please let us know if you have a preference or we can show you and discuss options and colors.
Roof Repair after a Hail Storm
Follow this guide from NRCA to roof repair after a hail storm for more information in the following areas:
- How do I repair my roof?
- Selecting a roofing contractor
- A professional roofing contractor should have:
- Beware of a contractor:
- Before making repairs
- Free hail damage information for homeowners
- Other help
As an Owens Corning™ Preferred Contractor, Midwest Contractors is part of a chosen network of roofing professionals selected specifically for our commitment to service, reliability and unparalleled craftsmanship. We meet high standards and satisfy strict requirements - all to give you the peace of mind that you've chosen the right contractor for the job.